Friday, February 6, 2009

A penny for your thoughts.



I was thinking about ways I could integrate the butterfly effect topic into an artistic event of sorts and incite some change in peoples lives through a project. I was talking with friends about something totally off topic and the idea came to us-

I could get 25 pennies. On those 25 pennies, I could do gel medium transfers of some smaller and simpler pieces I'm working on right now. Upon drying, those 25 pennies would be distributed picture side down across campus in places that they would be seen and picked up.

While the images would be small, I want them to be emotional pieces that the finder can't help but look at and identify with. I would of course keep copies to be saved for show, along with papers describing the idea behind the project.

The more I think about it.... I really think it could be interesting to see how the copper tone of the pennies interact with the digital prints. Maybe I should play with my transparency in the images. =] hmmm.

Still working on some of the finer details, but I'm excited to see this one become a reality.

4 comments:

  1. i LOVE the concept of this...
    its a perfect example of the butterfly effect. people pick up pennies for luck everyday...so a minute task like picking up a penny turns into something completely differant...
    i would consider doing a stake out and maybe photographing a few of these pick ups and reactions....that'd be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! A stakeout! that would be fun =P
    good thinking!
    THanks!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea! I'm interested to see what images you choose for the pennies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will it all be imagery - or also text - like fortune cookies?

    ReplyDelete